Thursday, September 19, 2013

Dried up

Pin It

This weekend we had an issue with our water supply, from Friday morning until Sunday afternoon there was no water pumped into our community. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper.

The funny thing is, each house stores a certain supply of water. I was told in gallons just how much I would have to brave through this, but two main points were missing: A- How long do I need to make it last? and B- Just what does that mean? A five minute shower? Two minute shower? Can I wash any crusty dishes? Oh my Lord, will I have enough water to flush the toilet?

Just like any other human being, the first thing we do is to moan and complain. And then pray for God to just this once, help a sister out and restore my water supply for His Glory. Very mature, I know. But I see how this silly situation was used to teach me a couple of things, and I'd like to share them with you. 

First of all, the magnitude of it hit me in the face. I don't have to do anything to have access to running water, I just turn a faucet. What about the people who have to walk miles? What about the people who live in droughts? What about the people who depend of muddy and dirty sources? No water taught me compassion. 

How big was my crisis, really? I still had access to water on tap. I have family two blocks down who opened their home for us to shower. I was able to afford going out for lunch on Sunday to avoid piling up dishes. I did not need to skip on bathing, washing hands, brushing teeth or drinking water. No water taught me how small my problems really are.

Can I even say I had no water? Or was I just focusing on the worst all along?I just had the nagging feeling that if I was not careful, I would be in trouble later on. No water taught me to put things into perspective. 

At the end of the day, a water shut off showed me God's incredible grace and mercy through the little things. And I am so thankful for those few days I spent worried about the lack, all the while focusing on what God has to offer that is so abundant.